Who should I speak to about my child’s difficulty with learning or SEND?

At Thornton Dale Primary School we encourage you to talk to the class teacher about any concerns you may
have regarding your child’s learning. You may also want to speak to:

Miss Anna Gawthorpe (SENCo) who is responsible for:

• Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the
school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in

• Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning and kept informed about the support your child
is getting.

• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g.
Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...

• Finding ways to support vulnerable children who are risk of not making expected progress; this includes pupil
premium children (children who are entitled to receive extra funding by way of means testing).

• Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are
known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

• Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND
in the school achieve the best progress possible.


The class teacher is responsible for:

• Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may
need and letting the SENCO know as necessary.

• Writing and updating provision maps, then sharing them regularly with parents. This is an internal tracking
system which assesses the whole child and measures their strengths as well as their vulnerabilities.

• Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for
your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside
specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

• Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any


The Headteacher (Mrs Karetnyk) is responsible for:

• The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

• The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school
relating to SEND.


The SEN Governor is responsible for:

• Liasing with the SENCo to keep up to date with any changes in school provision.

• Monitoring provision and outcomes for children with SEND.

What are the different types of support?

Most children with SEND can be best supported inclusively through Quality First Teaching. This means:

• Personalised learning planned and delivered by the class teacher in an ordinary classroom setting.

For your child this would mean:

• That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

• That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

• Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class.

• Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to

• Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has
gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible

All children in school are entitled to this as a part of excellent classroom practice.

On rare occasions when a programme of study is proven to make accelerated progress we may use
intervention groups, these involve:

• A targeted programme of study designed to close gaps in learning.

• Time out of class to attend the group for a limited period of time (usually half an hour each day for six to eight

For children who require specialist support, outside agencies may be involved to recommend specialist
provision. These services include:

• Local Authority central services such as the Enhanced Main Stream Provision (schools who specialise in SEND)

• Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

This would mean:

• You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

• You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a
Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself better
understand your child’s particular needs.

• The class teacher would make changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support
or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.

• Your child may be invited to a group under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group.

• As a school we may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. We will tell you
how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.


Education Health and Care Plan (Statement of Educational Needs - until September 2014)

This means your child will have been identified as needing a particularly high level of support which cannot be
provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

For your child this would mean:

• The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s
needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

• After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child,
including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork
provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all
professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.

• The Statement or Education, Health and Care Plan will outline the long and short term goals for your child and
the planned provision which will best meet the child’s needs.

How can I let the school know I am concerned?

• We would encourage you and your child to approach the class teacher to discuss your concerns.

• For further advice contact Anna Gawthorpe (SENCo)

• The SEN governor may be contacted through school if you feel that your concerns have not been answered.

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s learning?

If your child has been identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in
more detail and to listen to any concerns you may have. At this meeting the teacher and/or SENCo will also
discuss next steps for your child.

How is extra support allocated?

• The school budget, received from North Yorkshire LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

• The Headteacher decides on the allocation of the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in
consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

• The provision mapping which is used throughout school provides a clear assessment of where there is greatest
need and what provision has been put into place. Children with SEND have individual provision maps which detail
the support they receive.

• All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Who are the other people who provide services?

• EMS provision (assessment, advice and resources for children with Communication and Interaction Difficulties,
Specific Learning Difficulties, EAL  or Behavioural issues).

• Autism Outreach Service (ASCOS)

• Educational Psychology Service

• Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs

• Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).

• School Nurse

• Occupational Therapy

• Physiotherapy

How are teachers trained to support SEND?

• In the SEN Code of Practice it states that the SENCo must be qualified by taking a National Award which must
be a postgraduate course accredited by a recognised higher education provider.

• Through staff meetings led either by the SENCo or visiting specialists

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

• Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure
that your child’s needs are met.

• Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

• Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning need

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher in a variety of ways:

• His/her progress is reviewed formally every term through teacher assessment.

• Class teachers use an internal system of class provision maps which assess the whole child including their
physical or social and emotional needs. This information is used to ensure that teaching is personalised.

• If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment
tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The
levels are called ‘P levels’.

• At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally
assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do
and the school results are published nationally.

• Children in need of SEN support will be provided with individual provision maps which will be shared with you to
provide targets and details of personalised provision for your child.

• The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ Education, Health and Care Plan is formally reviewed at an
annual review meeting where all of the professionals involved in your child’s education are invited to attend.

• The SENCo regularly monitors the provision and progress of children with SEND.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

• The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to
share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

• The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may

• All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where
this is not possible, in a report.

• Provision maps will be reviewed with your involvement.

• Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

• A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to
be useful for you and your child.

How will Thornton Dale CE School support your child when they are moving to another class or school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is
as smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

• We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that
need to be made for your child.

• We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

• We will arrange for your child to make additional visits to their new school, if necessary.

When moving classes in school:

• Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will
take place with the new teacher.

• Provision maps will be transferred to the new teacher.

In Year 6:

• The SENCo from Thornton Dale CE Primary School will meet with the SENCo of the receiving school to share
information and discuss support needs prior to any transition.

• Your child will take part in learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes

• Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new
school will visit your child in this school.
At Thornton Dale School we believe in an inclusive approach to learning which means quality
first teaching where teachers do everything in their power to make the classroom
environment conducive to learning for all children. Our core Christian values are at the
centre of our SEND policy.